Since a few weeks ago I talked about making black beans and rice and the photo conveniently had a big dollop of guacamole on top, I thought I would share with you how we like to make guacamole. We always, always choose the homemade variety since this recipe is so easy to make. Here is how we go about making guacamole:
(In the name of full disclosure I should probably mention that this is one of Mr. SillySimple’s signature recipes, and that he is letting me borrow for a bit only if I am nice)
Ingredients for guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- 2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cilantro (fresh is better, but dried can be used in a pinch)
- 1/2 roma tomato, finely diced (can use more if wanted)
- salt to taste
- dried red pepper flakes to taste
How to make guacamole:
1) Mix the avocado and lime (or lemon) juice in a small mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or heavy spoon, crush the avocado and lime/lemon together until it resembles a creamy mass.
2) In the garlic, cilantro and tomato. Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes.
Can be served immediately, or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Important tip: To succeed with this recipe it is really important that your avocados be fully ripe. If it doesn’t feel squishy in your hands (that means it is ripe), leave it on your counter in a paper bag for a day or two to fully ripen.